We Are A Connectional Church
Historically our affiliation is rooted in the Presbyterian tradition which provides us with a system of representational government and accountability. We trace our theological roots back to the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and Reformed Protestantism, outlined in the Belgic Confession (1561), Heidelberg Confession (1563), and Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechism (1646).
We are part of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church and are committed to the system of doctrine set forth in the Westminster Confession of Faith, together with the Larger and Shorter Catechisms. We are governed by the Book of Church Order of the ARPC which comprises the Form of Government, the Rules of Discipline, and the Directory of Public Worship.
We have our roots in the historic Fulton Heights Neighborhood of Salisbury that began in the early 1900’s. Maupin began as a church plant of area Statesville ARP churches in 1926 and was organized in 1937 under the ministry of Rev. JN Lesslie. The church was built and completed in 1939.
Brief History of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
The story of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian (ARP) Church begins in Scotland in the early 18th century. Two groups of Christians grew discontent with the Church of Scotland. The Seceders (as they would later be called) had two primary complaints. First, theologically, they felt that the church should believe in the free offer of the gospel (at this time the Church of Scotland supported a conditional offer of the gospel: if a person sufficiently repented, then they may receive grace). Second, they were opposed to patronage, a system in which the largest landowner, not the congregation, called (selected) the pastor. In 1733, this group of Christians seceded (broke apart) from the Church of Scotland and formed the Associate Presbyterian Church. At about the same time, a group of Christians known as the Covenanters wanted the King of Scotland and the government to swear by The National & Solemn League Covenant (1643), which was anti-Episcopal and pro-Presbyterian. King William III refused. In 1743, the Covenanters split from the Church of Scotland, relocated in Ireland, and formed the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
From 1750-1770, both the Seceders and the Covenanters immigrated to the United States, starting congregations mainly in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. In 1782, in Philadelphia, PA, the two groups merged to become the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. By 1804, the ARP denomination had grown to include four regional synods, and in 1822 the Synod of the South formed. It would later become the General Synod of the ARP Church. Erskine College and Seminary was founded in 1837 in Due West, South Carolina.
Today, there are approximately 273 ARP churches located in 9 regional presbyteries throughout the USA and Canada.